There’s a lot of complexity surrounding payment operations that comes with a revenue-sharing model in platforms and marketplaces. For instance, online marketplaces would take a small portion of the revenue made by their sellers, and a retailer business would take management fees from their branches for each transaction made. This process requires a large amount of manual work and hours, not to mention the high risk for calculation errors and inaccuracies.
To illustrate this process, let’s use a fictional XenMarketplace as an example. It gains revenue by collecting a percentage of payment that is made on their platform. Let’s say XenMarketplace takes 10% commission of each sale and the merchant takes 90% of the revenue, and the end-payer pays a purchase price of IDR 100K.
If this process were to be done manually, this would take a number of steps:
1. XenMarketplace would need to manually calculate the commission fee that needs to go to its account – 10% x 100K = 10K
2. XenMarketplace would need to manually calculate the revenue that needs to go to the merchant’s account – 90% x 100K = 90K
3. Next they would need to transfer the funds to the respective accounts correctly
4. Lastly, they would also need to do the reporting and reconciliation to ensure that the transactions are accurate
Imagine if they process 10,000 transactions a day! This would cost the company a lot of man hours and labor, not to mention the risk of calculation errors and inaccuracies from the manual process.
Xendit designs the payment experience for Platforms & Marketplaces
xenPlatform provides the tools that enable you to manage complex payments flows within your Platform.
Using our APIs, you may accept payments from major payment methods, and flexibly route these payments across your Platform to various Partners (e.g. sellers, vendors).
Our software suite allows you to:
- Create and onboard Accounts at scale
- Accept, split and disburse payments on their behalf
- Monitor your partners’ activity on 1 consolidated dashboard
Introducing Platform Fee
Our feature, Platform Fee automates the revenue sharing process with minimal effort and easy set up. With our solution, you can easily take a commission fee for a large number of transactions from your partners and monetize your platform at scale.
This product is suitable for customers who want to split payments between themselves and their partners. Platform Fee Use cases:
|Business model||Use Cases|
|Online marketplaces||Charge a commission for each sale you facilitate for sellers.|
|Multi-branch businesses (retailers, franchise businesses)||Charge a management/admin fee per transaction from your branches|
|Payment resellers||Mark up transaction fees and receive profit|
|SaaS Platforms||Allow your customers to receive payments, and monetize more by charging a platform fee|
You have multiple franchises in different cities across the country and you’d like to receive a partial amount of revenue made by these franchise stores. You want to take 10% of commission from every single transaction made for stores in Jakarta, and 20% of commission from stores in Bali.
To achieve this, You can use xenPlatform to create a partner account for each of these franchise stores. Then you can create 2 Fee Rule objects on Xendit to charge the 10% and 20% commission. Then apply the 10% Fee Rule to only transactions from stores in Jakarta and apply the 20% Fee Rule to transactions from stores in Bali
You have just built an online marketplace and you’re looking to monetize by taking an admin fee from each transaction made in your platform. You want to charge a flat rate of 5000 IDR from your merchants regardless of the total transaction amount.
To achieve this, you can create a Fee Rule with 5000 flat rate amount, and apply it to any transaction that you want to charge Platform Fee from. You will automatically receive 5000 IDR admin fee for each checkout made on your marketplace.
Payment Service Resellers
If you’re looking to expand regionally or globally as a payment service provider, or you’re looking to accept more types of online payment channel, you can also become a payment service reseller using Xendit. To monetize the services made, payment resellers can also utilize Platform Fee to automatically charge fees to their customers. Let’s say you want to charge 1000 IDR for each transaction made by your customers.
To achieve this, you can create new accounts for your customers on Xendit. Then, you can create a fee rule that charges 1000 amounts. Finally, you can apply this fee rule to all your transactions and gain revenue easily, no manual work needed.
How does it work?
This could be done via simple API calls in our system.
There are 2 steps to take to charge a Platform Fee:
- Create a Fee Rule object via API
- Fee Rule is an object that lets you take a commission when applied to a specific transaction
- Our system calculates the Fee for you
- Fee Rule lets you set a flat or percentage commission amount
- Create a transaction (e.g. Invoice, OVO Payment) via API using with-fee-rule as a header for a specific partner account
The system will acknowledge that payment will be split according to the fee rule created and route it to the respective platform fee and partner account.
To learn more about this product, visit:
How to get started
- For existing xenPlatform customers, you can immediately get started and test the API’s to start charging Platform Fee for your merchants! You can find the Platform Fee tab on the dashboard, and create a fee rule via API.
- For existing Xendit customers, you can reach out to your AM to activate xenPlatform, and learn more about how you can implement the product to your use case
Are you a new customer? Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for a free demo, no commitments! Or sign up now!